An exciting opportunity has arisen for Permanent General Terminal Operatives to join a leading port operating Company, Solent Gateway Ltd (SGL) in Marchwood, Southampton, Hampshire working 40 hours per week with attractive long term job stability.
SGL operates the Port of Marchwood and provides capability to the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to maintain National Security and we are looking for Terminal Operatives to support Port operations within the facility.
In this exciting and varied role you will carry out cargo operations including the mooring of vessels, loading/unloading and securing of cargo. Whilst full training will be provided for the use of specialised heavy plant and machinery with industry standard training previous experience in a Stevedoring or Port Operating role is essential.
As part of the role, there will be opportunities to deploy worldwide on short assignments (2-5 days; Africa, Middle East, Europe, America etc.) to meet and discharge/load the vessels. There will also be opportunities to deploy for longer durations (up to 6 months) to carry out vessel operations.
In order to support the MoD both in the UK and overseas, applicants will be trained to become Sponsored Reserves (SR). SRs gain experience in both worlds of MoD and civilian environments which provides global exposure to the industry.
Basic salary is £24,522 per annum. There is also the opportunity to receive the following *bonuses through successful completion of training:
- On completion of training £2,300 (taxable) after which
- After Year 1: £444 (tax free)
- After Year 2: £982 (tax free
- After Year 3 & 4: £1,517 (tax free)
- After Year 5 and onwards: £1,759 (tax free)
In addition for working abroad, individuals will receive a further payment of £1000 per month or part thereof whilst working away (up to £6000 for a 6-month deployment).
This vacancy is also suitable for serving Army, Navy or RAF Reservists who can transfer across without repeating the Forces application process.
Due to the nature of the post, applicants;
- must have resided in the UK for the last 5 years
- must be a British or Commonwealth citizen
- must be aged between 18-43 years old (limit raised to 49 years if left Army within 6 years)
- must hold a valid UK driving licence
- must hold a passport with minimum of 6 months validity
- will be required to pass medical and fitness tests.
*eligibility restrictions may apply